Monday, February 28, 2011

In corner number one: Create!

How churnOn.com moved from 'idea' to 'reality'

On January 7th I purchased a MacBook Pro and began the process of switching from  Microsoft Windows to Apple's world of blue-shirted geniuses. Thirty days later, on February 7th, I launched my personal website, churnOn.com and my blog, The Churn. This is the story of how I created the website (and the surrounding ecosystem of social networking tools) in four weeks. This is the third post in the six part series and the first of the four C's: Create! 


Why did I decide to build a personal website?:
  • To e-Publish my book, Releasing the Churn and give it away
  • To provide a platform for writing materials I have created through the years on subjects that range from entrepreneurialism to selling; from golf to fitness; from raising girls to spirituality
  • To aid in my professional search for new business opportunities, where I am focusing on technology companies and services oriented businesses
  • As a 'home base' around which I could surround and master social networking tools like Blogger, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube, and then share my knowledge base with others
  • A fun way to learn how to use my new MacBook Pro
Defining the project was not hard. But what next? I had just purchased the MacBook, but barely knew how to turn it on. It seemed impossible to start designing a website on a computer that I did not yet know how to use. Furthermore, I can not spell 'html' and I certainly was not a social media expert.

Here were the steps that took the 'overwhelming' feeling away, and moved the project into action:
  1. Define the project in writing
  2. Talk to friends, family and business associates about the idea
  3. Ask for their honest feedback
  4. Figure out what tools and skills would be needed (and find experts to help)
  5. Start
Using a vision board to get the creative juices flowing:
It is number five that most likely stalls out many good ideas. Yet it is really so simple. One word, 'start'! Do something to bring the idea into reality. For this project, I used a  concept called a vision board. I simply mapped and pinned out (on a small cork board) how the Website might look. That was something I could do, without needing to understand Apples' iWeb software or Go Daddy's hosting service or social networking media. Then I carried the board around in my car for a week and I asked everyone I saw, "What do you think of this idea?" It was from the vision board and the initial feedback that I gained momentum for the project and moved deeper into the 'create' phase.

Have you ever had a good idea, but simply could not get it off the ground? What were the things that held you back? Have you ever used a vision board effectively? What about asking others about an idea you have that seems a little scary? 

Next Monday, I will continue this six part series with focus on the second 'C': Connect! Beginning this week I am picking up the pace of my blog postings and you will see something most every business day. Tomorrow I will share how this website, and the social networking tools, are helping catapult my 'opportunity search' in several interesting business communities.

This blog series (The Four C's) dedicated to Coach Dean Smith and the four corners offense. March Madness is upon us - go Tar Heels!

3 comments:

Tim Fox said...

Page, great comment on the create step or the action step. My favorite blogger Seth Godin wrote a similar post today about shipping or in your words, creating. See link below:

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2011/02/the-simple-two-step-process.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fsethsmainblog+%28Seth%27s+Blog%29

G. Page Singletary said...

Thanks Tim. Seth and I have the same haircut.

Tim Fox said...

I'm not far behind either of you. By the way, Seth's new book, Poke the Box came out yesterday. I picked up the e-book for 4.99 on amazon. It's a celebration of initiators. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Poke-Box-Seth-Godin/dp/1936719002/permissionmarket

Tim Fox