Friday, July 1, 2011

The Seed of Communication

Continuing with Denis Waitley's Seeds of Greatness, the sixth seed is communication. There is much to be said on this topic, but today I want to focus on the word kindness, as in the often quoted Bible verse from 1 Corinthians 13:4Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud. Here are some nice thoughts on kindness from Mark Roberts, who writes a daily devotional for The High Calling.

Waitley gives these five simple tips on being kind when communicating with others: (1) get in touch with strangers, (2) extend your hand first, (3) eye contact, (4) smile, and (5) volunteer your name first.


He also provides a list of words to strive to eliminate from our vocabulary, followed by the suggested replacement word or phrase:
  • I can't – I can
  • I'll try – I will
  • I have to – I want to
  • should have – will do
  • could have – my goal
  • someday – today
  • if only – next time
  • Yes, but – I understand
  • problem – opportunity
  • difficult – challenging
  • stressed – motivated
  • worried – interested
  • impossible – possible
  • hate – love
Happy Birthday America and let us be kind to all we encounter this holiday weekend.

No comments: