Thursday, April 28, 2011

Love what you do and know it well

Are you in your sweet spot?:
I believe the champion sales professional truly loves their job. They love the product they sell and the company they represent. Furthermore, the champion sales professional knows their product in great detail. They know the features and benefits of their product and more importantly they are able to find out how the product or service can meet the needs of the client. This does not mean that their job, company or product is perfect, but it does mean that they enjoy their work and that their love for the work overshadows any shortcomings or challenges.

I have seen sales people who sell products in an industry where they don't consider themselves an expert. Some are even very good sales people, because they have what it takes to persevere in spite of the fact that they don't enjoy the  industry. For example, a person who does not enjoy technology, might be a good technology sales person if they have the other tools (of champion sales people) and if they are surrounded by talented technologists who they can lean on for assistance. While this may be okay, it is not ideal, because these individuals are not matching their talents with their passions.

Remember Stephen Covey's quote that I like so much: "I will tap my talents and fuel my passions, in a way that rises out of a great need in the world that I am drawn to by conscience to meet – for therein lies my voice, my true calling, my soul's code."

No comments: