Friday, April 29, 2011

What does it mean to love your work

Finding the dream job:
The best description I have found around the idea of loving what you do, comes from Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz in their book, The Power of Full Engagement. To be fully engaged (i.e. to love your job), "we must be physically energized, emotionally connected, mentally focused and spiritually aligned with a purpose beyond our immediate self-interest." (p. 5) Notice how that sentence is basically the same as the sentence I ended yesterday's essay with from Stephen Covey: "I will tap my talents and fuel my passions, in a way that rises out of a great need in the world that I am drawn to by conscience to meet – for therein lies my voice, my true calling, my soul's code."

Another way to say the same thing would be do stuff you love to do (emotionally vested, passionate), stuff you are good at (talents, focus, drive, energy), and stuff that someone will pay you to do (what the world needs.) That is the place to be if you want to be a champion sales professional.

Next week we continue this series with a look at what it means to be 'unique' when selling. ELU to the power of two: Energy, Enthusiasm, Likability, Love, Unique, and Urgent.

No comments: