Monday, April 4, 2011

ELU Squared: The Champion Sales Professional

William Patton McDowell Jr:
Regardless of where you are in life or how you earn a living, you can benefit from the Six Characteristics of the Champion Sales Professional. This is the introduction to my series, named ELU Squared or E-L-U, to the power of two. This series is dedicated to Billy McDowell, my grandfather. 

From my 'Poppy,' I first learned about sales. I spent a lot of time with Poppy when I was a child, riding in his Oldsmobile, talking on his rotary-dial 'car' phone, flipping through his presentation materials, learning the fundamentals. Poppy would say, "A good salesman always has a pen . . . listen more than you talk . . . and remember son . . .

what's behind the door, 
I am not sure, 
but this I know 
and know it well, 
the more I open, the more I sell."

The Six Characteristics of the Champion Sales Professional are:

2 comments:

Tim Fox said...

Selling is such a relationship business. The way I see it, the first 2 characteristics are the most important. I would sum that up by saying Energy + Enthusiasm = Passion. You have to have passion to be a champion sales person.

G. Page Singletary said...

Tim, thanks for this comment. I think you are right on target and glad you agree in the order in which I am going about this. I think without understanding energy management, we will never be able to maintain the level of enthusiasm necessary to be a champion salesman. We can certainly be mediocre, but that is not what the purpose of this series!