Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My take on Bradley J. Moore's post: Alternative Universe

The final plate on the resume:
For a guy with ten license plates on his resume, this post about life's twists and turns, from Bradley J. Moore really hit home. Very funny and  thought provoking.


Here are my thoughts. Just this week, I had a two hour lunch with a talented executive in the tech sector, also fumbling and bumbling with these same 'alternatives'. My lunch buddy said it this way, "Do I throw the screen pass in the flat, or go for the first down marker, or is it time to throw the long ball?" He described himself as a perpetual screen passer.

I've always been a long ball thrower, which is most likely why I have a collection of license plates. There have been plenty of ups and downs, but we subscribe to the 'bloom where you are planted' theory. If you drill down to the specifics I've lived in some special places and worked with remarkable people: Pelham (GA), Chapel Hill, Columbus, Southern California, Lexington, Aspen, Williamsburg, Nashville, Chadds Ford, and Austin. I'll put my list of cities lived and experiences gained up against anybody. But let's face it, ten is a lot of churning and one might ask, 'Why are you always moving?' 'Is the grass always greener somewhere else?' That's why we decided to stay put in Texas, one of the revelations in my eBook, Releasing the Churn

Jim Rohn, considered by many to be the first motivational speaker, says: "Life is not just the passing of time. Life is the collection of experiences and their intensity." In other words, how old you are should not just be measured chronologically, but  should also be measured by the frequency and the intensity of your experiences. Well, I've got some years on me if we do it that way!

My pastor hit me with a baseball analogy a while back when discussing this very subject. He said, "Page, you don't always have to hit the grand slam home run, sometimes it is okay to just bunt the guy over to second base." I'm not sure I heard him? Do you always play it safe? Or do you swing for the fences? How old are you in Jim Rohn years?

Quotes by Jim Rohn, America's Foremost Business Philosopher, reprinted with permission from Jim Rohn International �2010. As a world-renowned author and success expert, Jim Rohn touched millions of lives during his 46-year career as a motivational speaker and messenger of positive life change. For more information on Jim and his popular personal achievement resources or to subscribe to the weekly Jim Rohn Newsletter, visit www.JimRohn.com.

5 comments:

Tim Fox said...

I had a couple of friends, well the majority of my friends, think my wife and I were crazy for zigzagging across the country chasing cool jobs. I just have 3 license plates on my resume, but I also have great stories and I believe a better pulse on the west coast, the south, and Texas. Experiences gives us a new perspective, how easily we forget this when weighing the benefits of a secure job. Thanks for reminding me that I may be 5'8" 155, but I bat cleanup in my lineup.

G. Page Singletary said...

Tim, absolutely you do. I don't have Oregon in my collection and I bet it is pretty nice!

Bradley J. Moore said...

Thanks for the link, Page!
Yeah, you definitely have racked up the experiences, if you count license plates! I like that quote that life is a collection of experiences. What else do we have, really? I find myself getting to one point of achievement, then settling in for a while, but looking for what I am supposed to do next. Can be both good and bad, but it sure keeps the "experiences" rolling in.

G. Page Singletary said...

Thanks Bradley. Jim Rohn is fun to listen to in the car between sales calls. Mentor to folks like Zig Ziglar. Yes, the settling in and the getting restless . . . when to move towards the light in the distance, when to stay put in the comfortable places where we are?

Unknown said...

I say"thumbs up" on taking a leap of faith, making connections and ChurnOn! Cindy