Wednesday, March 16, 2011

When you start to slide - slide

Second cheero: Coach Paul Rogers:
On Monday, I wrote about the word 'complete' - the third 'C' that launched churnOn.com and this blog; along with my ecosystem of social networking tools. The focus was on keeping your attention on the essential task. I used a golf analogy:
  • Keep your eye on the ball
  • Head down until the task is completed
  • Perfection is the enemy of completion
One trick I have learned is to keep my daily 'to do' list very focused on the essential tasks. I use the rule of five. Only five items on my list at a time, and those five always include one slot for my daily fitness activity.
For example, today's list looks like this:
  1. Yoga at 6:30 a.m.
  2. Finish mind node showing current top five business opportunities and circulate to key contacts in my network
  3. Meet with AMD at 9:30 a.m. to discuss Forefront Austin partnership
  4. Meet with Michael Froehls @ 12:30 p.m. to discuss his book, The Gift of Job Loss.
  5. Meet with Dale Morgan at Austin Country Club to share about progress helping Jason Black with My Little Golfers. 
Once I pencil out my top five priorities, no more items on the list. I keep a second list (on the right side of my notepad) for phone calls and short email communications that need to be completed. I tackle the phone call list and the email activity once I have completed the five items on the main list, or in between appointments. Once the main list is 'complete', I can make a new list and refocus energies on the next highest priority projects.

I think I first began to learn this concept from my Little League Coach, and one of my cheeroes, Paul Rogers. A cheero is a hero who cheers you onward and upward, and cheeroes are one of three key themes in my book, Releasing the Churn. It is kind of like cheerio, but drop the 'i'. Tomorrow we will look at one of Coach Rogers first teachings: When you start to slide, slide. He who changes his mind may have to exchange a good leg for a bad one.

No comments: