Thursday, May 5, 2011

"Great sales people are competitive and emotional; it is what makes them great"

Give me leaders, not bosses:
Today was going to be a churnOn Top Ten: Unique Ways to Close an Email, but I have decided to save that for tomorrow, in favor of this excellent essay from Matt Sharrers, Principal at Sales Benchmark Index. My friend Greg Petersen recently introduced me to Greg Alexander, the founder of SBI, and I have enjoyed following their work in the field of sales force effectiveness.

This essay speaks directly to what I have been formulating relative to 'A' players in my series, The Six Key Characteristics of the Champion Sales Professional. All of the top performers I have ever known, including myself, are highly competitive and highly emotional. Give me a leader who understands the importance of these two traits (emotional management tactics), over a boss who only focuses on the numbers (logical management tactics) any day of the week.

Are you working in an environment that celebrates leaders or bosses?

1 comment:

Bradley J. Moore said...

Page - Yes, those guys at SBI put out some great content. THis is such a great point, because if the emotional side is not taken into account (i.e. what truly motivates the sales leaders) then you just get a numbers game and miss out on tapping into all that great potential. We are going through some of this change right now at my company!