Wednesday, May 4, 2011

How am I unique and extraordinary

Let's go sell something:
Yesterday, we began exploring how champion sales people are unique and extraordinary. Since I am writing this series, one would assume that I consider myself a champion sales person. I think my track record of entrepreneurial sales successes speaks for itself. So I started thinking about how I am unique and extraordinary. Here are a few ways that I separate myself from the pack. Some of these attributes have been developed over time, while others were more innate.

I walk fast. ("That guy walks with purpose and is going places in his life.") I have a beautiful bald head, developed over time. I smile a lot. I make people feel good. I write action oriented follow-up emails and personal notes. I have very good phone mannerisms. I hate to lose. I manage my energy exceptionally well. I am enthusiastic. I have high empathy. I understand the final key of the champion sales person: how to apply urgency, even when urgency may not be present. (Urgency is next weeks topic, and one that most sales people do not understand.)

I also do some things that are not well-liked in certain situations. I despise long meetings. I get bored with trivial conversations. I walk fast. ("That guy is always in a hurry and doesn't slow down to listen to what I have to say.") I would rather 'do' than 'talk about doing'. I have a ready-aim-fire mentality. These things may not make me the most popular guy around the water cooler, but they are typically the traits of a top grade sales person. 

Tomorrow, is a churnOn Top Ten:  Unique Ways to Close an Email.

1 comment:

Tim Fox said...

Great post. When I think of entrepreneurs, I think of 2 people: Page Singletary and Dave Ramsey. Both have books coming out I'm looking forward to reading. Releasing the Churn by Page Singletary:

http://www.churnon.com/churnOn.com/Contact_churnOn.html

And EntreLeadership by Dave Ramsey, if you follow the link below you can get a free copy of the first chapter:
http://www.entreleadership.com/?ectid=1105entrebook_4